January 30, 2020
5 Keto Lunch Ideas to Get You Through the Workweek
While various forms of low-carb dieting have been used for many decades to treat a range of diseases, this article does not recommend that anyone undertake self-treatment or avoidance of prescribed drugs without consulting a physician or qualified healthcare practitioner first.
When you’re on-the-go, making time to prep and cook your meals can feel overwhelming. If you’re new to the keto diet or low-carb high-fat (LCHF) lifestyle, you may feel even more confused.
One of the best ways to set yourself up for success is to meal plan. With a good weekly plan, you can set aside a few hours a week to shop, cook, and pack your meals. Then, you have food that’s ready to pack up and take on the road.
If you work outside the home, lunch can be one of the most challenging meals to prep for. It’s tempting to grab something from a fast food restaurant or takeout, but those meals likely don’t align with your keto diet.
To help you out, we’ve put together this simple weekly plan of keto lunch ideas that you can have prepped and ready for your work week. Not only are they easy to make, but they provide all the nutrition you need on a keto or LCHF lifestyle.
Monday: Cincinnati Style Chili
Who doesn’t love a hearty bowl of chili, especially during the cold winter months? For many folks, they’re used to chili with beans, but legumes are not a part of the keto diet. So, we’ve put together a delicious bean-less recipe that’s a perfect addition to your keto lunches.
Cincinnati Style Chili
1.5 lb. ground beef
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cups beef/chicken stock
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or grated parmesan cheese, to garnishINSTRUCTIONS
- In a large, wide pot, brown the beef.
- About halfway through, stir in the onion and garlic.
- Once the beef is browned, add the rest of the ingredients except for the cheese.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours until thickened to your desired consistency.
- Garnish with cheese and serve as is or over zucchini noodles.
Tuesday: Ricotta Stuffed Cabbage
We’ve found a way to reinvent cabbage into a delicious lunchtime favorite and make sure you’re getting all the nutrients you need by including our KetoLiving™ Vanilla Protein Powder. If you’ve been looking for some vegetarian keto lunch recipes, this one is perfect for you!
Ricotta Stuffed CabbageINGREDIENTS
Serves 2 as main dish, 4 as a side dish
2 cups ricotta cheese
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp powdered onion
½ tsp powdered garlic
2-4 tbsp keto vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp caraway seeds
12 oz roasted red peppers
14 oz crushed tomatoes
¼ cup water
1 head of cabbageINSTRUCTIONS
- Set ricotta in a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and let drain overnight. Ricotta needs to be as dry as possible.
- Heat oven to 350F. In a food processor or blender, puree tomatoes and roasted red peppers, loosening the mixture with a little water.
- Once ricotta has been drained, stir in mustard, oregano, basil, onion, and garlic. Stir in KetoLiving Vanilla and set aside. Toast caraway seeds over low heat, until they become fragrant. Add tomato mixture to the pan and let simmer for 5 minutes, until the flavors come together, stirring frequently.
- Gently remove 4-6 large, outer leaves from the cabbage head, and boil them for 3-4 minutes. Scoop about ricotta mixture into each leaf, fold over the edges, and roll. Tuck the roll into a baking dish, seam-side down.
- Pour tomato mixture over the rolls and bake for 10 minutes, just until everything is heated through.
Wednesday: Fish with Mustard Sauce
Just because it’s keto doesn’t mean it can’t be decadent, like this rich and delicious fish with mustard sauce. Add in a side salad or vegetable and you’ve got a great addition to your keto lunches.
Fish with Mustard Sauce
2 tilapia fillets, or other light fish
2 tbsp melted butter
Salt and pepper
Half an onion, cut into half-moon slices
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¼ cup cream
2 tbsp keto vanilla protein powder
2 tbsp water or olive oilINSTRUCTIONS
- Coat fish with melted butter and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Add to heated pan with more melted butter or oil.
- Cook for 4 minutes, until fish is white just more than half through. Carefully flip and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove fish from pan and add onions and pepper to pan. Let cook for 10 minutes, or to desired softness, stirring occasionally.
- Stir together Dijon, cream, and KetoLiving™ Vanilla Powder, thinning the sauce with water or oil as desired.
- When the vegetables are finished, make a bed on the plate, and top with the fish. Then drizzle the sauce over the fish and serve!
Thursday: Taco Salad with Ground Beef
Taco salad is a lunch and dinner favorite: quick and easy prep, and full of nutritious veggies and protein. One of the great things about taco salad is that it’s a totally customizable keto lunch idea so you can make it as zesty as you want! Just remember, if you put salsa in your taco salad, check ingredients for hidden sugars.
Taco Salad with Ground Beef
Adapted from Low Carb MavenINGREDIENTS
1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. of ground beef (or turkey if you prefer)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 head of green leaf lettuce or 2 romaine hearts, chopped
1 to 2 avocados, cubed
½ cup shredded cheddar (or cheese of your choice)
3 tbsp chopped red onion
3 oz. (a generous handful) of tomato or chopped bell peppers
2 oz. freshly chopped cilantro
Optional: Dollop of sour cream
Optional: Keto-friendly salad dressing, or a squeeze of fresh lime and drizzle of olive oilINSTRUCTIONS
- Add olive oil to pan and heat to medium-high. Add thawed ground beef and brown.
- Sprinkle cumin and chili powder in the meat and stir well. Turn off stove and remove from heat.
- Add lettuce, veggies, and cilantro to a large bowl and layer meat, cheese, and sour cream on top.
- If you’re using dressing, gently toss salad with dressing before serving. Enjoy!
Friday: Avocado Egg Salad
Boost your fat intake while getting your protein with this creamy avocado egg salad keto lunch recipe. Enjoy on its own or add to a lettuce cup for a crunchy twist on this lunchtime classic.
Avocado Egg Salad
Adapted from That Low Carb Life
6 hard-boiled eggs
2-3 avocados (depending on size and desired creaminess)
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup red onion (green onion is delicious, too!)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, or basil
Optional: sugar-free mustard of your choice
- Boil the eggs and let cool completely. Check out these tips for making the perfect hard-boiled egg.
- Peel the eggs, dice, and put in a large bowl.
- Add the avocado to the bowl and combine until it forms a creamy texture.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.
Want More Delicious Keto Recipes?
At KetoLiving we’re committed to providing the best keto products and tips to support your healthy keto or LCHF lifestyle. Want more keto lunch recipes and beyond? Head on over to our keto blog and check out our keto recipes to learn more!
All statements described here have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products mentioned are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.